Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Exposed

Last class we touched on the topic of being exposed on the Internet. Well I know I talked about it. After talking about Danah Boyd's chapters and conversations were flowing, being exposed on the Internet came up in our class discussion.

I know I mentioned how it was scarier for me to put all of my information on the internet. When I signed up for Facebook my dad warned me not to put too much information on my profile. He would scare me into thinking that someone can search me on Facebook and based on what I posted, someone could find out stuff about my life. He would also scare me into thinking that people could find me based on what I posted as well. Because of this, I have always been more conscious of what personal information I have posted on the Internet.

This sparked the debate of whether or not people are more afraid of stranger danger or being exposed on the Internet. I was surprised more people were scared of stranger danger type situations and not being exposed on the Internet. In one second, someone can hack your computer and gain all the information that you have entered on it. That to me is scarier than walking downtown with my group of friends.

So I'm curious about the specific reasons people have that make them more afraid of stranger danger type situations and not being exposed on the Internet?


No comments:

Post a Comment