Sunday, April 17, 2016

Make it a rule: Privacy matters on social media

I am totally behind this idea of making a social media constitution. Students and employers should not be monitored by their teachers or bosses for what they post online.

Social media is meant for posting pictures, articles, beliefs/opinions etc. You are sharing those things with the people you associate with socially. There will be people who won't agree with what you post and that starts conversation. But I could state the same opinion out at a public place with my friends and still get the same reaction. The only difference is that one interaction was online and one was in person. But they were both social interactions. I wouldn't, however, be penalized for by a boss or teacher in that interaction that was in person. So why should I be penalized for it online? 

People go out on Friday nights after work. People go out on the weekends. Why should people that are over 21 that are working be punished buy their boss? They are out with friends and are over the legal age to drink. What is the problem of posting a picture with your friends at a bar? Or at a Cubs game? Or Hawks game? Or any social gathering that there may be alcohol? That is part of being social, so naturally people will now share aspects of their social lives on social media. 

I also think that people have social lives and work lives and they are very different. People don't act the same in a professional setting as they would at a bar with friends. The social standards are different as they should be. So why are people punished for that? I don't want to act like I do at work when I'm out with friends. I want to be able to separate work from my personal life. Adults should be able to act professional work and should be allowed to have a fun social life outside of work. As long as it doesn't affect your work life, I don't see the need to judge someone by what they post on social media.

I am going to stop myself here. I have a lot to say and have said a lot already.

No comments:

Post a Comment