Monday, May 16, 2016

Illegal down loading is out

Today in class we heavily discussed the topic of illegally down loading music. Before platforms like Pandora and Spotify became available, people would illegally down load music all the time. Music can be expensive, so if people can get it for free, they were going to.

I was someone who used to download music all the time. In high school I didn't think anything of it because everyone did it. I guess I felt pressure from my peers to download music. I would buy music off iTunes and my friends would always be like "why would you do that? Just download it for free!"

But after the invention of Spotify, I haven't downloaded music since. I also have a new respect for artists and their work. I do respect artists and their work. A lot of them work really hard to get to where they are. If I am a huge fan of the band or artist, I will buy the music because I am happy to give them my money. The last two albums that I bought were Taylor Swift and One Direction.

I do think that illegally downloading music has decreased because there are other outlets such as Pandora and Spotify. People don't see the need to illegally download music now. I'm not sure if I am the only person who thinks that, but I wonder what you all think?

Do you agree that illegally downloading music has decreased? And do you actually buy the music if you support the artist?

           

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashlee! I think you raise several really interesting points in this post. Personally, I have never been one to illegally download music (and I'm not just saying that to sound "moral"!). I just never felt the need to download music for free. Perhaps I wanted to financially contribute to the musicians, or reward them for their work. Yet today's online music platforms (Pandora, Spotify) do seem to have reduced the need for most to illegally download music. After all, you can pay a reasonably small fee to access a wealth of music. I wonder whether this is truly the cause of decreased illegal download rates, or whether it simply "seems" like the cause.

    ReplyDelete